Sunday, August 3, 2008

What Book Are You Ashamed at Never Having Read?

This humorous three-minute video shows various authors answering the question: What's the book you're most ashamed of never having read? I particularly like the author who achieved the highest marks in history at his school for a paper on Wuthering Heights, a book he admits to never having read. If you're not entertained by the authors themselves, it's worth watching the video just to see the beautiful backgroup of Dartington Hall, Devon during the Way With Words festival.

And the book I'm most ashamed of never having read? Probably Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or Shakespeare's Hamlet. Embarrassing.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird.

but you should definitely read Tom Sawyer! did you you read Huck Finn?

Stephanie said...

Oh my. One book? I don't know if I can come up with just one- no matter how much I read, there's always so much more out there that I haven't read, and I'm desperately trying to play catch-up. Wuthering Heights, East of Eden, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Anna Karenina, The Portrait of a Lady, War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, and every other book ever published. LOL

Anonymous said...

Gwen, I've been waiting for your review of Tom Sawyer before I get a copy.....

Petunia said...

I am never ashamed of having not read a book, only grateful that I have more to look forward to. It's a bit of a cop out but I got a late start in this whole "reading for pleasure" thing.

BTW, I really love your blog. It's different than your average book blog.

Gwen Dawson said...

Thanks, Petunia.

Anonymous said...

Tristram Shandy, Walt Whitman's Song of Myself.

Also, I'm ashamed how little I've read of books by friends and writing teachers, many of whom wrote excellent things.

There are some people I haven't read (and don't regret it), but others I really wish I had read. That includes:

Diary/Dream of the Red Chamber. I read only volume 1, but not the other 4.

Tale of Genji

More Mavis Gallent. I know she's a great writer, but never felt motivated to read her.

Plum in the Golden Vase (I started volume 1, but 2 more volumes await me).

Also, I wish I had read more Henry James.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of one book I'm embarassed to admit I haven't read.

I liked that everyone seemed to have a different interpretation of a classic.