Monday, June 2, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (a pre-publication review)

2.5 out of 5: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a lighthearted epistolary novel about an author who travels to Guernsey, a British island in the English Channel off the coast of Normandy. The protagonist, Juliet Ashton, is a writer with a warm personality and an adventurous spirit. As Juliet researches her next book about the German occupation of Guernsey during WWII, she befriends the quirky members of a book group on the island. Although The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is charming at times, this book is mostly lacking in substance. The characters are formulaic, and the plot is entirely predictable. A quick and forgettable read. (This review is based on a pre-publication edition.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm disappointed. This was one of the books from the NPR summer reading list that I thought looked most interesting. You must have been given all of the books on that list, because I see you're reading "My Mistress' Sparrow is Dead," which is another one I thought looked good. Hopefully Eugenides' book will be better!

Gwen Dawson said...

So far, Eugenides' compilation of stories is EXCELLENT. I'm really enjoying it. I'll post a review when I'm finished.

Anonymous said...

I actually liked this one, although the second half of the book is lagging, especially when the romance took flight---it's almost a nose-dive to the end! But for something lighter this book has more than fulfilled its purpose.