Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (a review)

2.5 out of 5: For the same reason I read The Da Vinci Code (namely, peer pressure), I finally read Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert’s bestselling memoir about her culinary and spiritual journey following a messy divorce. I have no major complaints about this book, but I also have nothing particularly positive to say. It’s exactly what you’d expect: typical and predictable but also easy to read and somewhat entertaining. As Gilbert traipses across Italy, India, and Indonesia, her lighthearted tone keeps her story from wallowing in seriousness, but it also introduces a veneer of superficiality. If you like these kinds of books (thirty-something woman rediscovers the joys of life), you’ll probably enjoy Eat, Pray, Love. Personally, I’d rather spend my time reading something more unique.

No comments: