Sunday, October 19, 2008

Andrew Porter Reads from The Theory of Light & Matter

This evening I listened to Andrew Porter read from one of his short stories at Brazos Bookstore. Porter chose to read an excerpt from "Azul," one of the ten stories published in The Theory of Light & Matter. Although I'm unfamiliar with Porter's work, The Theory of Light & Matter won the Flannery O'Connor Award for short fiction this year, so I was expecting a good reading.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Porter has roots in Houston. Indeed, "Azul" takes place in Houston, and the story's references to Rice University, specific Houston neighborhoods, and Vietnamese food demonstrate Porter's familiarity with the city. I have never understood why Houston is largely ignored by writers, and I'm glad to see Porter is doing his part to fill in the void. I'm delighted to learn Porter is currently working on a novel set in Houston, and I look forward to reading the other nine stories in The Theory of Light & Matter. Look for my review in the near future.

No comments: