Friday, October 17, 2008

Books Make Good Holiday Gifts

Publishers Weekly reports that 26% of consumers surveyed said they plan to spend less this holiday season than in 2007. Books ranked fourth (after apparel, toys, and movies) on the list of top 10 items consumers plan to buy as gifts, with 27% of consumers saying they will purchase books to give this holiday season.

Beginning December 1st, I will be posting Twelve Days of Books here on Literary License with twelve great gift ideas for book lovers. I've been working on the list for months now, collecting ideas in all price ranges and from many different sources. I'll post one idea a day for twelve days, and on December 13th, I'll post all twelve ideas in a single post. These are gifts that you, as book lovers, would love to receive, so you might want to pass on the link to people wondering what to get you this holiday season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea! I'm always telling people that I want books for Christmas, but they usually want a little more input than that. I'm eagerly awaiting December 1st.

Anna van Gelderen said...

I think it's a lovely idea, too. We don't do gifts with Christmas over here in the Netherlands, but I am still really curious to see what you are going to come up with, Gwen.
Personally I think books are THE best gifts and I love browsing around in bookshops until I have the perfect book for whoever is going to get a present.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a similar list last Christmas .

But certainly another list from you would be a great addition.

Over this year, I would add another outstanding Christmasy book: How Proust Can Change Your Life: Not a Novel by Alain De Botton. It's an idiosyncratic easy-to-read light-hearted biography of Proust’s life.

Lana said...

I agree, this is a lovely idea! Looking forward to reading your picks!

Anonymous said...

Giving the gift of books is a lovely idea, if you know what your recipients' tastes are. The gifts are not considered fully received unless the recipients have read them. I have remembered all the books that I have received and I had to return the tomes the day after Christmas because people have no idea what I like.

With that said, I'm looking forward to reading about your selections! :)