- The Children's Book, AS Byatt (Chatto and Windus)
- Summertime, JM Coetzee (Harvill Secker)
- The Quickening Maze, Adam Foulds (Jonathan Cape)
- How to Paint a Dead Man, Sarah Hall (Faber)
- The Wilderness, Samantha Harvey (Jonathan Cape)
- Me Cheeta, James Lever (Fourth Estate)
- Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel (Fourth Estate)
- The Glass Room, Simon Mawer (Little, Brown)
- Not Untrue & Not Unkind, Ed O'Loughlin (Penguin - Ireland)
- Heliopolis, James Scudamore (Harvill Secker)
- Brooklyn, Colm Toibin (Viking)
- Love and Summer, William Trevor (Viking)
- The Little Stranger, Sarah Waters (Virago)
James Naughtie, the chair of judges, commented:
We believe it to be one of the strongest lists in recent memory, with two former winners, four past-shortlisted writers, three first-time novelists and a span of styles and themes that make this an outstandingly rich fictional mix.
This longlist was chosen from a total of 132 books, 121 of which were submitted by publishers and 11 of which were called in by the judges. The 6-book shortlist will be announced on September 8th, and the winner will be announced on October 6th.