Monday, August 17, 2009

A Happy Marriage by Rafael Yglesias (a review)

A Happy Marriage: A Novel
4 out of 5: A Happy Marriage, Rafael Yglesias's most recent novel, chronicles the 29-year marriage of Enrique Sabas to Margaret Cohen in chapters alternating between the awkward beginnings of the romance and the weeks just prior to Margaret's untimely death from cancer. By constraining the story to its bookends (sprinkled with just a few events from the middle years), Yglesia gives himself room to write. The story captures the durability of this couple’s decades-long relationship, and, at the same time, progresses slowly through individual days, patiently layering details to create a nuanced world. This structure is a masterful solution to the problem of depicting a complex relationship without sacrificing either depth or length.

Each thread of this story offers its own rewards. The early thread is optimistic, often humorous, and strangely suspenseful, even though the outcome is predestined. The late thread is heartbreaking, filled with a morbid accounting of Margaret’s physical decline and the other unpleasant details of death, including a carefully managed schedule of last goodbyes. Yglesias's workmanlike prose focuses attention on the characters and maintains a quick pace without detracting from the unfolding tragedy. A Happy Marriage is a poignant portrayal of a relationship from its beginning to its end.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

The book sounds good, but I'm not sure I could handle the end of it right now.

Anonymous said...

Your review makes the book sound beautiful. But like bermudaonion, I would never want to read, "A Happy Marriage" because it sounds much too sad. I sincerely hope the author got out of it what he wanted or needed, therapeutically, during the writing process.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I really liked this story a lot; I read it in July, I believe, and rated it a 4.5/5.

Great review.

zibilee said...

This book sounds sad, but also beautiful. I think I'd really like it, so I am going to be looking out for it. Great review, by the way.

marriage and sex said...

I really enjoyed this post called "A Happy Marriage by Rafael Yglesias (a review)", is very interesting, I would like get more information about this!

before marriage said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, is very interesting thanks for sharing this post!