Monday, August 31, 2009

Julia Child's Bestseller

Thanks to the recently released movie Julie & Julia, Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, a book first published 48 years ago, is the #1 bestseller on the August 30th New York Times list in the advice and how-to category. According to the New York Times, Mastering the Art of French Cooking sold 22,000 copies in the most recent week tracked by Nielsen BookScan. Knopf, the book's publisher notes this "is more copies than were sold in any full year since the book’s appearance."

While it's not uncommon to see books, even old books, get a sales boost from movies, this instance is surprising. Child's 752-page, $40 cookbook is loaded with full-fat, time-consuming, and difficult recipes, many of which demand strange ingredients.

3 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'd have no interest in buying this book, but then I am more of a 4 ingredients fan LOL

Zibilee said...

I would love to get my hands on a copy of this book. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies, and I think it would be fun to try out some of Julia's recipes.

Lisa said...

I thought I should rush right out and get this after I saw the movie. Then I realized--I have a shelf full of cookbooks already. Realistically, how many can one person use?!