Saturday, May 31, 2008

Literary License was tagged...

Literary License was tagged for an author meme by Bostonbibliophile and Shhh, I'm Reading. What a fun game!

Author Meme Rules: Link to the person that tagged you, post the rules somewhere in your meme, answer the questions, tag six people in your post, let the tagees know they’ve been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog, let the tagger know your entry is posted.

1. Who’s your all-time favorite author, and why?
My all-time favorite author is probably Philip Roth. He's extremely versatile as a writer, and everything he writes exudes an innate intelligence. Roth's prose is well-crafted and his characters are engaging, but more than anything else, Roth tightly controls narrative structure. It seems to me that everything in a Roth novel is there for a well-considered reason. My favorite Roth novel is The Human Stain, which in my mind is a perfect book.

2. Who was your first favorite author, and why? Do you still consider him or her among your favorites?
My first favorite author was Lucy Maud Montgomery because of her Anne of Green Gables series. As a 7 or 8-year-old, I spent an entire summer reading all of the Anne of Green Gables books. I fell in love for the first time that summer (with Gilbert Blythe and with reading). It was a magical summer. I would still recommend the 'Anne books' to any young reader.

3. Who’s the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?
Virginia Woolf. For some odd reason, I didn't read anything by Woolf until recently. Now, Mrs. Dalloway has joined my list of near-perfect novels, and I also love Orlando. I enjoy Woolf''s poetic style, and I respect her as one of the best authors of all time.

4. If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth? Are there any you’d add on a moment of further reflection?
Probably Salman Rushdie and Michael Chabon. For gorgeous, lush prose, these two authors can't be beat. They've also been getting a lot of press recently (because of recently-released novels), so they're very current.

5. Tagged:
Eclectic Reviews by Amy Sisson
The Printed Page
A Hoyden's Look at Literature
Minds Alive on the Shelves
Books on the Brain
Love To Read

4 comments:

Marcia said...

Thank you for inviting me to play the Author meme. Mine's done and posted here: http://printedpage.blogspot.com/2008/05/tagged-with-author-meme.html

LisaMM said...

Thanks for tagging me! This looks fun. We're super busy this weekend so I don't know if I'll get around to it until mid-next week if that's ok!

Lisa said...

Thanks for including me! Mine is here: http://aliveontheshelves.blogspot.com/2008/06/tag-im-it.html

Amy Sisson said...

Hi! Mine is at http://amysreviews.blogspot.com/2008/06/author-meme.html.

[Unfortunately, I can't find the ones I tagged within the ring to let them know I tagged them. Still new to some of this....]